Go to top of page

Support for students

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples

Most universities or higher education providers have Indigenous student support centres.

Services may include orientation activities, learning support, peer-mentoring, tutoring and cultural support.

There are many scholarship opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.


Culturally and linguistically diverse students

Many providers encourage students to make connections through social and cultural clubs and societies.

Check if your provider offers programs such as English-language support, orientation activities, peer-mentoring or other services to help you with study.


Refugees and Asylum Seekers

Some providers offer scholarships specifically for people seeking asylum, and refugees on temporary visas.

These scholarships can be for different purposes, like course fees or living expenses.


Students with disability or health condition

Providers can support access and participation for students with disability or health condition by:

  • making reasonable adjustments so you can participate in all learning activities;
  • referring you to disability support officers, counsellors, on-campus medical services or other student services; and
  • organising support to assist you with managing your study load.


Sexually and gender diverse (LGBTIQ+) students

The LGBTIQ+ community is an alliance of people of diverse sexes, genders and sexualities.

The Sex Discrimination Act 1984 protects people from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status.

Contact the equity or diversity area of your provider to access support or get involved in the LGBTIQ+ community.


Rural, Regional and Remote

Support for rural, regional and remote students (including for distance education or online studies) may include orientation activities, accommodation officers, student support services, welfare services, clubs and societies and academic support.

Specific rural, regional and remote student payments and services are available through Services Australia.

The Australian Government encourages higher education for rural, regional and remote students by offering:


Students who are carers

Many providers support students to manage carer responsibilities while studying by providing flexible learning options (e.g. online or part-time study), on-campus child care, parent rooms and parent support groups.

If a lecture is not already available online, check with your university lecturer directly to see if they can make this option available.

Carers Australia and the Department of Social Services offer broad support and information for carers.

Specific carer payments and services are available through Services Australia.


Students who are parents

Child Care Finder has information on different types of child care, child care fees and child care centres in your local area.

Special child care payment and services are available through Services Australia.


Students from low-income backgrounds

Many providers support students from low-income backgrounds through admissions pathways, peer mentoring, academic learning support, advice on financial assistance (e.g. bursaries, scholarships and managing budgets) and where to access emergency financial assistance.

Access to HELP loans removes the barrier of upfront fees.

Special payments for students, trainees and Australian Apprentices are available through Services Australia.

Find tips and advice for saving money while you study.


Students who are the first in their family to go to university

If you are the first in your family to attend higher education or go to university, you might not have anyone in your family or community who you can talk to about your experience.

The First-in-Family website has resources, information and case studies to support you.



To help students get a job after study, most providers have careers and employment services that can offer:

  • career advice and counselling;
  • resume checking and job readiness activities;
  • resources to help you find part-time employment while studying;
  • support for job placements, internships or industry placements while you study; and
  • support to connect to employers when you graduate.

Read tips to help you get a job once you graduate.


Managing your mental and physical health

Your mental and physical health is an important part of your life as a student.

Most providers have medical centres and doctors on campus.

Your provider's counselling services and welfare officers can help you with issues such as bullying, advocacy, sexual health, financial assistance, legal advice and student conflicts.

Your provider also aims to keep you safe on campus with security staff, access passes for after hours and emergency procedures in place. Some universities also have specific violence and sexual assault support.