Go to top of page


When you attend a university or higher education provider they charge you a fee each year called the student services and amenities fee (SSAF).

This fee is to cover things at your campus like child care, food services, financial advice, sporting and recreational activities or employment and career advice.

SA‑HELP is a loan that helps students pay for all or part of their SSAF.



Your provider will assess your eligibility for a SA-HELP loan against the criteria below. If you have any questions, please contact your provider.

To get a SA‑HELP loan, you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holder who meets the residency requirements;
  • be enrolled in a higher education course at a provider that offers HELP loans;
  • submit the Request for a SA-HELP loan form to your provider by the census date.



To apply for SA-HELP, you will need a tax file number (TFN) and Request for a SA-HELP loan form, which your provider will give you.

Your form must be filled in and submitted to your provider before their due date.

You only need to apply for SA-HELP once, but if you change providers, you will need to re-apply.

If you are enrolled at two different providers, you will need to submit a form for each provider.


How much is the SSAF fee

In 2021, the maximum amount your provider can charge you is $313.